Monday, July 11, 2011

forget me now


"I can't keep dragging you in from the cold

standing you up and wiping the mud from your face

I can't possibly allow myself to watch you unravel"

You open your eyes and stare at the filthy ceiling

"How are you feeling?"

"I feel as though someone's poured saw dust down my throat and punched me a few times shortly after"

"it's to be expected, my apologies"

"No need for saying sorry, I asked for it right?"

you hop down off the table, groaning a bit from effort and peruse around the small crowded room. Peaking into empty jars, jars filled with interesting specimen, jars filled with strange liquids, and you linger on a jar with a piece of masking tape across it. It blares in a brilliant red, "Faulty". A scene flashes across your eyes:

A swingset, it blinks and there you are at age six swinging on it, laughing, it flashes forward again about 3 years to you peaking in your father's basement office and you see a polaroid of a young woman. he comes down stairs screaming at you. Scared, you drop the photo and run hurriedly up the stairs. Your father rubs his brow and stoops down and grabs the picture.

It happened so quickly, this flash of memories triggered by some enigmatic word. You grab your head, a loud siren sound exploding in your ears. screaming out, you drop to the floor curled in a ball, your hands pressed to your ears. The man in the lab coat, we'll call him Lewis, runs to your side, fumbling with a remote. He presses a small red button and the siren stops screaming.

"What...the...fuck...was that" you pant, still cradling your head like a scared child.

"I'm sorry, but you know you aren't allowed certain memories, until these trail of events are completely suppressed, you'll hear the sirens. You knew this when you came"

"I wasn't expecting something so violent"

"It has to get the point across"

"Will this honestly work?"

"all it is an application of reinforcement, sadness is the unconditioned response triggered by the unconditioned stimulus, your memories. with the siren this alters it. Pain is the new controlled response, triggered by the memories. Eventually repression will occur and you will no longer need the sirens and the memories will no longer surface."

"then the pain is worth it"

"So you may think now, we'll have to keep for a couple more days"

"Anything to get this off my chest and the blood off my hands"

"Do you honestly believe you have made the best choice to forget it all. Your family, your life, your job, all the things that have made you who you are?"

"Sadly, yes. A fresh start is worth all sacrifice"

"I'm so terribly sorry you believe that, we're going to put you back under"


"See you on the other side, doc"

No comments:

Post a Comment